This is an example of how to write a cover Letter. For the job description, scroll to bottom.
First understand the 3 most important skills that the company is looking for (listed in order of priorities)
- Proactive Self-starter
- Effective problem-solver
- Solid Team Player
I’m writing to express interest in the Management Trainee vacancy. I am applying to this position because I share the vision with Zalora about revolutionize the fashion industry. Here’s what I bring to the table:
- Strong leadership skill and teamwork spirit – As former Event Director of Career Networking Day and Head of Operations Management of Freshmen Orientation Camp committee, I have led and worked with different teams to successfully execute the plan and achieve the expected target.
- Good analytical thinking and problem solving skills – As the Chief Operating Officer, I executed daily operations of StickUs in the most productive way, which enhanced my ability to think out of the box and logically deal with work issue, leading to breakeven ahead of business forecast.
- Good communication skills and rich international experience – Came to Singapore from Vietnam,
- having worked in a Japanese corporation, and collaborated with teammates from different countries for successful projects delivery in university clubs.
Thank you for your consideration.
I’m writing to express interest in the Management Trainee vacancy. I am applying to this position because I admire Zalora’s bold vision of revolutionizing the fashion industry. Here’s what I bring to the table:
- Proactive Self-starter – Growing up in small province in an economically-depressed country, I always have a strong entrepreneurial drive for change. As the age of 16, I charted my own path and determined to study and build a career moving from Vietnam to Singapore. Since then besides achieving exceptional academic results, I have taken on many important roles such Event Director and Head of Operations Management for projects at school.
- Effective problem-solver – I love to connect patterns to create efficient systems and workflows. For example, while serving as COO for a student club, I designed a workflow that allowed us to achieve our forecast ahead of schedule by 3 months.
- Solid Team Player– Having a culturally diverse background working with Vietnamese, Japanese, and Singaporeans, I had many chances to develop exceptional interpersonal skills. For example, I have lead university projects of a team of 10 members. While the other teams completed on average 5 projects per year, we did 8 projects due to the strong team culture that I helped build.
Thank you for your consideration.
What John did well:
- He did a good job at identifying what the key skills the company is looking for.
- He also provides examples to match these skills
What John can improve:
- In the job description, the company make it clear that they are looking for a TOP candidate. Someone that will really stand out. John provides only general descriptions. Even though he holds important job titles, he does not explain in details the projects and the impacts.
- If you don’t explain the impact, no one will believe anything you write.
- Zalora is a company famous for its swift execution and aggressiveness. As such, you need to demonstrate that you are very proactive. That in your life, you have charted your own path. The more you can show how you take your own actions to lead the higher the chance they will hire.
- He said he “shares“ Zalora’s bold vision of revolutionizing the fashion industry. But he did not have any experience working in the fashion industry. So he can’t say this. All he can say is that he admires them.
Management Trainee Program
ZALORA Group – Asia’s online fashion destination
ZALORA entered the Asian market with a bang in late 2011 and hasn’t looked back. We are Asia’s number one fashion and beauty destination and the most visited fashion website in the region. We have a presence in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand, operating as ZALORA in Asia and THE ICONIC in Australia and New Zealand. We cultivate a dynamic environment, bringing together an unrivalled pool of talent from across the world. We are redefining online fashion throughout Asia, do you want to be a part of the team that is turning this dream into reality?
About the Management Trainee Program
The Management Trainee program with ZALORA is a 16 months rotation program and offers comprehensive, cross-functional experience in different business areas across 3 Asian countries. This program is ONLY for top performers that have shown time and time again the ability and the willingness to excel in every endeavour!
What’s in for you?
By being part of this unique program, you will go through intensive on-the-job training preparing you for future management positions with ZALORA Group. As a management trainee, you will have real responsibilities on live projects, you will be right where the action happens, in the middle of daily decision-making and you will see the direct impact of your actions on the performance of the leader of a very fast-growing market. To enable you to perform at your best, an assigned senior business leader will coach and mentor you.
This program is your trampoline toward an accelerated career with us! You will be an integral part of building a multi-billion dollar company and changing the way 600M people shop for fashion!
What are we looking for?
- 0-2 years of experience
- Graduated from a top university across the World, in business, engineering or quantitative fields
- Ranked in the top 10% of students in the class
- Very strong analytical skills
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit and hunger for success
- Self-starter approach, highly enthusiastic and energetic